Tuesday, August 9, 2011

With This Bing, I Thee Web

First calculator made in the 1960s, Boston, MA
I was revisiting my thoughts on technology lately and thought it appropriate to make a post. I've decided I have a love/hate relationship with today's technology and I'll share that now. I was reading through my online junk news a few days ago and there was a piece on the invention and enhancement of the modern calculator. I was shocked at the sheer size of the original and was fascinated by how small and convenient this machine has gotten over the years. What an amazing feat to have not only invented such a device but be able to constantly make it better and useful. Now, this item, once filling a room, is available on your mobile device and in palm sized options for your purse or backpack. We certainly have come a long way in 50 years.

Other items of note that have become helpful are the ever popular mobile phone, the internet, the GPS and the computer. I have my moments with all of these devices but overall, where would we be without them? I would venture to assume that everyone who can, has a mobile phone. With its modern conveniences come it's downfalls. It's common to see individuals walking aimlessly about with phone in hand, plugging away to check facebook, SMS updates, maps, listen to music and just be all around socially off-kilter and in some cases, rude and dim. My love for this phone is due to its usefulness in emergency situations. I had my first car accident last year and what luck that I had this thing with me. I was able to call my husband, call the police, notify my insurance and the dealer all at the scene and then later schedule a doctor's visit - I was also 3 months pregnant. Go figure. I can't imagine the process without it.

GPS is another love/hate. I moved to the Boston area two years ago and without it, would have gotten lost more times than I have with the machine. Granted you need to make software updates and whatnot, but overall the love factor grossly outweighs the hate. The internet to say the least has come a long way since the early AOL keyword days. I'm an avid user, both on computer and mobile device and I have no shame proclaiming love on this. My hates are few in that viruses lurk at every corner, you can search innocently and find the not-so-innocent in return and when you aren't watching, you're being watched. Simply put, watch your virtual back and you might be a happy guy/gal. I for one, with my new laptop, am being careful this time.

ENIAC, 1947
The modern computer is another very awesome thing that has both enhanced lives and made jobs more convenient, that is to say when they work properly. As a banker, I've had my share of frustrating days at the office when the computer won't work or perform properly but in the grand scheme of things, it's a blessing. Another room filler, the computer was brought to life in July 1947. What an amazing feat in technology again. The original probably had no idea that its great great grandchildren would be used in classrooms, offices and homes everywhere adding value to lives. With this love however, is my hate.

I can embrace technology such as this only to a certain degree. I'm still not on-board (I mildly apologize for the business jargon) with using computers and technology as teachers of our children. I see little ones everywhere fiddling with iPads and computers and it makes me cringe. I understand there are valuable programs out there and I enjoyed Oregon Trail as much as the next kid from the 80s, but I still feel like hard copy and one-on-one interaction with a child is the most valuable. It worked for us so far and I think people should revisit it. That's all I'm saying on that.

So, there you have it. My midnight post is a kudos to those individuals who have slowly made us more efficient and anti-social. I'll applaud technology overall. With it, like most things, there are negatives, but what a great thing it is to be able to document your midnight trains of thought electronically and connect with your family from afar, all with a few clicks of a button. Cheers! I'm eager to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment