Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Uncommon Courtesy

A situation happened today that inspired this post. Just because I have an infant I don't feel as though I should have special attention, however, this is not the only time I have witnessed the ever dying tradition of common courtesy.

I was taking care of my annual vehicle inspection, thanks be the Commonwealth for this ridiculous tradition and I brought the small one with me. As I was leaving, I had my daughter in one arm and my handbag in the other and headed for the door. A group of gentlemen, and I use the term very loosely, stood before the door and for some reason I expected someone to open the door for me. This did not happen. Alas, the lady cleaning the window of  the door did. Another time, during my pregnancy, I was visiting a friend at the bank and had my hands full with lunch and drinks and from inside the bank a customer saw me coming and watched me as I did a balancing act and used my foot to open and hold the door open for myself and waddle inside. I certainly hope she enjoyed the view of this spectacle because she did me no favors.

I have to wonder, is it just the difference between north and south? Is it cultural? What is going on here? I could list more examples of blatant rudeness but you get it. I grew up learning to hold doors open, offer seats to the aged, say "please" and "thank you" and other common courtesies one would expect in a social setting. Unfortunately, it seems as though these gestures are dying. People honk their car horns within the first millisecond of the light turning green, they cut you off on the road when no one is behind you, flip you the finger when they cut you off at an intersection and you just can't help but ponder the logic behind it. It certainly is a head-scratching topic for me. Are you in that big of a hurry? Perhaps you should have left 10 minutes earlier. Your tardiness is not my problem, but you have made it my problem by involving me in your unnecessary foolish and rude antics of impoliteness.

I realize that not everyone is awful but it certainly appears that it is a growing number. I find it a sad state of affairs when individuals just do not look out for one another. Would you slam the door in your mother's face? Perhaps you should exercise the same cordial gesture with strangers. I know I would appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. James and I always talk about how people can be so selfish and how weird it is. I think it's everywhere and not specific to one region. I think here in america, we're taught to look out for number one and we don't value the community the way we used to. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete