Tuesday, June 7, 2011

So, how 'bout that warm weather...

My latest post is more of an observation about the lameness and generic nature of social interaction. I work in a public setting so it's commonplace to hold very quick and sterile dialogue. The most ridiculous one that has lately become laughable is the weather chat. You know what I mean.

"Can you believe this weather?" Yes, I can. Be it rain, heat or snow, someone always finds it appropriate to discuss the weather. I often catch myself mentioning it out of sheer amusement because I know that 99% of the time, the recipient of my question will get into some passionate rambling of how much they love or dislike the current state of weather conditions. While most of the time you get responses about how hot it is or how cold, you will probably get a brief weather report for the next few days. I almost find it tedious to look at my online weather report anymore because I know at some point during the day, someone will kindly give me the forecast. I can't control the weather anyway, so it makes no difference to me what it's doing out there. There are few times, like today for example, where you actually get into a more in depth conversation. This is rare, but exciting when it happens!

Today I was talking to a regular and he mentioned how much he loved the heat and said he was from the south. I knew I detected a familiar accent and he revealed he was from GA and adored the warm weather. So naturally I told him I lived in SC for quite a few years and that led into some other chat. This is a very rare instance but this is when weather chat really gets fun. Don't expect it to get you solid conversation all time but every once in a blue moon, it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment